Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The UC Irvine Medical Scientist Training Program recognizes the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion in medicine and research. Diversity of identity and experience in our students and faculty improves not only the strength of training and community, but also patient care and research excellence, by cultivating unique questions and creative solutions to outstanding challenges in science and healthcare. However, having a diverse program is simply not sufficient. UCI MSTP administration, faculty, staff, and students must actively work to ensure that all trainees succeed and feel a sense of belonging regardless of their background. Therefore, UCI MSTP administration and the student-run Equity Committee are working together to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in our program by making the following commitments:
Diversity includes but is not limited to race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, language, culture, religious practices, political perspective, age, and disability status.
We commit to increasing diversity in our program to reflect the composition of the diverse community in which we live and serve by:
- Encouraging students from under-represented minority groups, disadvantaged backgrounds and/or who are disabled to apply.
- Improving outreach to students from diverse backgrounds to increase their interest in medicine and/or research.
- Inviting diverse faculty to be MSTP admissions committee members, advisors, or speakers at program events
True Equity can only be achieved by providing additional support and eliminating structural barriers that may inhibit the full participation and success of marginalized students.
We commit to ensuring equitable success for all our trainees by providing individualized support through:
- Broadening the definition of merit for a more holistic evaluation of applicants.
- Providing additional support to students who have experienced or are experiencing hardships throughout their training.
- Equipping leadership, faculty, staff, and students with the knowledge and resources necessary to effectively support students of diverse backgrounds.
An Inclusive environment is one where individuals are respected, welcomed, valued, heard and have a sense of belonging.
We commit to creating an inclusive culture where students from all walks of life can thrive by:
- Encouraging discussions around anti-racism, health disparities, and bias in STEM through a journal club and annual workshops.
- Recognizing students who have significantly contributed to advancing diversity, equity and inclusion at UCI and beyond.
- Evaluating program climate periodically to ensure all students feel a part of the community and are being heard.
UCI Campus Resources
- • UCI Office of Inclusive Excellence
- • Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity
- • Graduate & Postdoctoral Scholar Resource Center
- • Cross-Cultural Center
- • Disability Services Center
- • International Center
- • Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender (LGBT) Resource Center
- • Veterans Services Center
- • DREAMERS Resource Center
- • Diverse Educational Community and Doctoral Experience (DECADE)
- • Keeping The Balance – A Resource Guide for Well-Being for Graduate Students and Postdoctoral Scholars