A premier medical-scientist training program in Southern California.
The purpose of the Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP) is to train individuals who can understand and contribute to advances in research, and can also apply those advances to the field of medical care. Since our first students entered the program in 1980, the UCI Medical Scientist Training Program has grown and flourished. Today, our students and associated faculty pursue research in fields such as stem cell biology, cancer biochemistry, human brain mapping, among others.
Our MSTP family squints at the sun at our annual retreat.
A physician-scholar first
UCI grad student Sarah O’Dell is pursuing both an M.D. and a doctorate in the humanities.
The UCI Medical Education Simulation Center provides experiential learning in team-based communication, cognitive thinking and skills-based action.
Prof. Wilson Ho peers through one of his custom microscopes to capture molecules and atoms in action.
The Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP) at UC Irvine is a competitive program and well-rounded students who demonstrate a strong interest in research are encouraged to apply. The 2017-2018 cycle interviewed applicants had a mean GPA of 3.85 and an mean MCAT score of 516. Learn more about the admission process here!
At the UC Irvine MSTP, we consider wellness and lifestyle to be just as important as academic rigor. With an annual retreat focused on wellness and career development, and plenty of opportunities in Southern California to explore and have fun, we boast some of the happiest MD/PhD students in the nation. We invite you to learn more about student life as an MD/PhD student at UC Irvine!
September 24, 201912:00 PM First Process Group
12:00 PM Lunch with Physician Scientists - Dr. Edwin Monuki
September 23, 20194:00 PM Annual Cocktail Hour Meet & Greet
September 25, 20194:00 PM Dr. Arnold Caplan
October 3, 201911:00 AM Student Research in Progress Seminar
October 10, 201911:00 AM Watching Cellular Mechanotransduction: Piezo1 in Neural Stem Cell Fate
October 14, 20194:00 PM Dr. Kendall Lee
October 17, 201911:00 AM Student Research in Progress Seminar
October 24, 201911:00 AM Sculpture lessons: how the zebrafish forms its vessels
October 31, 201911:00 AM Evolutionary epigenetic effects of transposable elements in 3D nuclear space
- MSTP at 2018 AHEAD Conference May 29, 2018
- New MSTP Outstanding Service Awardee: Bassem Shoucri (GR5) May 15, 2018
- Congratulations to our PhD Graduates! May 15, 2018
- Logan Hubbard Dissertation Defense Friday, April 27 @ 1:30 PM in Med Ed Telemedicine April 17, 2018
- DISSERTATION DEFENSE: Megan Curran, April 24, 2018, 1:00 PM April 10, 2018
- Bassem Shoucri Dissertation Defense Wednesday, April 4 @ 11:00 AM in Nat Sci I March 29, 2018
- Congratulations to our 2018 Matches! March 16, 2018
- You are invited to the Dissertation Defense of Ronald Sahyouni, TODAY, 3:30pm @ NSII 3212 March 9, 2018
- Avital Fischer Dissertation Defense Friday, March 16 @ 3:00 PM in Irvine Hall 207 March 5, 2018
- Gianna Fote: Second Place in 2018 Grad Slam! March 2, 2018