A premier medical-scientist training program in Southern California.
The purpose of the Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP) is to train individuals who can understand and contribute to advances in research, and can also apply those advances to the field of medical care. Since our first students entered the program in 1980, the UCI Medical Scientist Training Program has grown and flourished. Today, our students and associated faculty pursue research in fields such as stem cell biology, cancer biochemistry, human brain mapping, among others.
The Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP) at UC Irvine is a competitive program and well-rounded students who demonstrate a strong interest in research are encouraged to apply. The 2017-2018 cycle interviewed applicants had a mean GPA of 3.85 and an mean MCAT score of 516. Learn more about the admission process here!
At the UC Irvine MSTP, we consider wellness and lifestyle to be just as important as academic rigor. With an annual retreat focused on wellness and career development, and plenty of opportunities in Southern California to explore and have fun, we boast some of the happiest MD/PhD students in the nation. We invite you to learn more about student life as an MD/PhD student at UC Irvine!
- National Research Service Award (NRSA) Fellowship Awardee: Raji Nagalla December 3, 2019
- Haytham Effarah representing our MSTP in the Department of Physics! December 2, 2019
- MSTP at 2018 AHEAD Conference May 29, 2018
- New MSTP Outstanding Service Awardee: Bassem Shoucri (GR5) May 15, 2018
- Congratulations to our PhD Graduates! May 15, 2018
- Logan Hubbard Dissertation Defense Friday, April 27 @ 1:30 PM in Med Ed Telemedicine April 17, 2018
- DISSERTATION DEFENSE: Megan Curran, April 24, 2018, 1:00 PM April 10, 2018
- Bassem Shoucri Dissertation Defense Wednesday, April 4 @ 11:00 AM in Nat Sci I March 29, 2018
- Congratulations to our 2018 Matches! March 16, 2018
- You are invited to the Dissertation Defense of Ronald Sahyouni, TODAY, 3:30pm @ NSII 3212 March 9, 2018