Applicants are required to cover their own transportation costs. However, we do provide one night hotel accommodation the night before your interview day at the Ayres Hotel & Suites. Transportation to and from the hotel is provided. Additionally, you may request to stay with a current MSTP or MD student. If you choose to stay with a student, our student housing oraganizers and the admissions office will contact you by email.
The pre-interview day is designed to give interviewees an informal environment to meet current MSTP students in various stages of their training. Attire is informal. Applicants will be treated to a campus tour, as well as a walkthrough of research facilities, followed by dinner with current students.
MSTP applicants are asked to attend the pre-interview activities by arriving in Irvine no later than 3:00 pm the afternoon before their interview day
Ayre's Hotel shuttle will provide transportation to and from UC Irvine.
- There are typically 5-6 interview days in which groups of 8-10 applicants are interviewed.
- The morning begins with a light continental breakfast and a meeting with our MSTP Director, Dr. Goldin.
- Following an introduction by current students, applicants will learn about the School of Medicine from the Deans of Admissions and Basic Sciences.
- During the day, applicants will meet with one faculty member on behalf of the School of Medicine and two faculty members on behalf of the MSTP. Student interviews will take place during lunch.
- At the end of the day, everyone will meet with a student panel and the MSTP Director to answer questions about life as an MSTP at UCI.
The UCI MSTP will contact applicants once both the MSTP and MD admissions committees have reviewed the interview application independently. Applicants who are invited to join the UCI MSTP must be offered admissions by both committees. Those who are not accepted by the MSTP may still be offered admission to the MD program. Applicants can re-apply for the MSTP once enrolled in the School of Medicine via AMCAS and secondary application.
*Note: the admissions status reflected on the UCI SOM admissions website reflects the MD committee's decision, not the MSTP committee. Therefore, a "wait-list" status does not render an applicant ineligible for the MSTP. Likewise, an acceptance by the MD committee does not guarantee acceptance into the MSTP.